Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Leader of the Council delegated authority to the Cabinet to make the following decisions:
1. Consider the outcome of the consultation process detailed in the Consultation Report produced by Opinion Research Services (April 2020) (at Appendix 1 of the report), in particular the representations received and the Council’s consideration of, and response to, these representations (at Appendix 2 of the report).
2. Consider the Consultation Evidence Report (at Appendix 3 of the report) which highlights the scale of problems relating to poor housing conditions and anti-social behaviour (ASB) in the private rented sector, identifies the objectives that a selective licensing designation would help the Council achieve and possible alternatives to such a designation and the equalities analysis at Appendix 13 of the report.
3. Upon consideration of the matters at 1 and 2, agree to choose selective licensing scheme option 3; from the three options presented at Cabinet on the 21st October 2019 that were central to the public consultation exercise and with due consideration of the alternative options presented; as the best option to proceed with, with the aim of achieving the significant improvements needed to the private rented sector in Croydon.
4. Upon consideration of the matters at 1, 2 and the agreement in 3 and using its powers under s.80 Housing Act 2004, agree to the designation of 22 wards, called area A (predominately in north Croydon), as a selective licensing area delineated and edged red and infilled green on the map at Appendix 4 of the report.
5. Upon consideration of the matters at 1, 2 and the agreement in 3 and using its powers under s.80 Housing Act 2004, agree to the designation of 6 wards, called area B (in south Croydon) as a selective licensing area as delineated and edged red and infilled orange on the map at Appendix 5 of the report.
6. Subject to Cabinet agreeing 4 and / or 5 that Cabinet delegate to the Executive Director Place, in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Homes & Gateway Services and the Director of Law and Governance, responsibility for agreeing the final document/s forming the application(s) to request confirmation of the selective licensing designation(s) from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG);
7. Subject to Cabinet agreeing 4 and / or 5 and where the appropriate national authority (Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government) confirms one or both designation(s) that Cabinet:
a. Delegate authority to the Executive Director Place, in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Homes & Gateway Services to agree, along with the national authority, that the respective commencement date(s) for the designation(s) be the 1st February 2021 or from such other date as is specified by the national authority for this purpose;
b. Agree the proposed scheme objectives as detailed in Appendix 6 of the report;
c. Agree to the proposed fee structure for licence applications made under the selective licensing scheme(s) at Appendix 7 of the report;
d. Agree the proposed licence conditions that would apply to any granted selective licence as set out at Appendix 8 of the report;
e. Agree the proposed policy regarding the granting of property licences under any new licensing designation(s) at Appendix 11 of the report;
f. Delegate to the Executive Director Place in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Homes & Gateway Services authority to agree changes to the proposed implementation of the schemes where necessary including updating scheme documentation to reflect revised commencement date/s specified by the national authority for this purpose and to ensure that all statutory notifications are carried out in the prescribed manner for the designations and to take all necessary steps to provide for the operational delivery of any licensing schemes agreed by Cabinet.
Report author: Shifa Mustafa
Publication date: 19/05/2020
Date of decision: 11/05/2020
Decided at meeting: 11/05/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 20/05/2020